REV. & MRS. C. O. STEWART EDUCATION MINISTRY
Understanding the need for academic and spiritual growth to succeed in our society, the Mt. Pleasant Scholarship Committee was formed in 1973 with a mission to encourage the youth of Mt. Pleasant to achieve their educational goals by contributing both spiritual and financial support. The name was changed in 1987 to the Rev. & Mrs. C. O. Stewart Scholarship Committee in honor the late Rev. & Mrs. C. O. Stewart and in 2015 the name was changed to the Rev. & Mrs. C. O. Stewart Education Ministry to be more reflective of services provided, but the mission remained unchanged.
Another milestone was achieved in 2014, the Rev. & Mrs. C. O. Stewart Scholarship Alumni Association was established to encourage past recipients to contribute annually to the fund in support of other deserving students pursuing higher education.
Committee membership and financial support of others over the years has enabled the Education Ministry to expand its’ services from giving graduation gifts to awarding academic scholarships to college bound students, book stipends for full and part time students, college honor roll awards and most recently including students attending Jr. College, Technical School and graduate students to the eligibility pool.
JAMES FREDERICK, JR. LEGACY FUND
In May, 2013, Mrs. Joanne Frederick established the James Frederick, Jr. Legacy Fund in honor of her late husband. The Vision/Mission of the James Frederick, Jr. Legacy Fund and the Rev. & Mrs. C. O. Stewart Education Ministry is aligned. The James Frederick, Jr. Legacy Fund provides book stipends to business students attending a four-year college /university, Jr. College, undergrad and graduate business majors. This Legacy Fund continues the legacy of Trustee James Frederick, Jr. and his passion for business and students pursuing business careers.
Criterion to receive monetary awards and recognition from the James Frederick, Jr. Legacy Fund parallels the Rev. & Mrs. C. O. Stewart Education Ministry Fund. Mrs. Joanne Frederick oversees the funding and administration of the James Frederick, Jr. Legacy Fund for eligible business students.
MARY LOU PARKS LEGACY FUND
In honor of a God-loving, God-fearing Christian woman with a lifelong commitment to public service work, social justice and equality for all, the Mary Lou Parks Legacy Fund was established February 15, 2016. Students eligible for a scholarship in the public service arena would include those careers in government at various levels, non-profit organizations and non-governmental organizations (not part of a government or a conventional for-profit organization) that promote progressive views and political correctness. Similarly, students pursuing a career in the social justice arena; i.e., careers that support fairness and proper administration of laws, irrespective of ethnic origin, gender, race, religion, etc., are eligible for a scholarship from the MLPL Fund.
The Mary Lou Parks Legacy Fund is housed under of the umbrella of the Rev. & Mrs. C. O. Stewart Education Ministry. Rosalyn Parks, daughter of Mary Lou Parks, will oversee the funding and administration of the Mary Lou Parks Legacy Fund.
GIFT, AWARD & CERTIFICATE GUIDELINES
Rev. & Mrs. C.O. Stewart Education Ministry
SHINING STAR CERTIFICATE
Elementary, middle and high school students receiving academic honors can submit up to three (3) achievements at the end of the academic school year. Students receive an Academic Achievement Certificate from the Education Ministry.
ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT RECOGNITION
Students attending any institution of higher education, i.e., four year college/university, Jr. College, Trade/Technical School, etc., are asked to share their academic achievements and graduation information with the Education Ministry.
HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATES
Rev. & Mrs. C.O. Stewart Scholarship Fund
HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATES
Graduating high school seniors receive a monetary gift from the Rev. & Mrs. C. O. Stewart Education Ministry Fund. Gifts are distributed at our annual fundraising event.
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE SCHOLARSHIP
Graduating high school seniors with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher, regularly involved in Church activities, with plans to attend a 4 year college/university, Jr. College, or pursue a degree online are eligible for this scholarship. Applicants must submit (1) their most recent high school transcript (2) a letter of recommendation from their high school counselor/equivalent (3) a letter of recommendation from a non-family member and (4) an essay on the selected topic.
COLLEGE GIFTS/AWARDS/BOOK STIPENDS
Rev. & Mrs. C.O. Stewart Education Ministry, James Frederick, Jr., and Mary Lou Parks Funding
The criteria outlined in the categories under this caption will apply to all undergraduate students attending a 4 year accredited college/university, Jr. College, Technical Business School or pursing a business degree online; the only difference is the funding source. Business student majors receive funding from the James Frederick, Jr. Legacy Fund; students pursuing a career in the social justice and/or public service arenas receive funding from the Mary Lou Parks Legacy Fund and students in all other majors receive funding from the Rev. & Mrs. C. O. Stewart Education Ministry Fund.
COLLEGE GRADUATION GIFT
Students graduating from any institution of higher learning; i.e., a 4 year college/university, Jr. College, On-Line Degree Program or a Technical School within 5 years of their high school graduation date are eligible to receive this gift.
BOOK STIPENDS-UNDERGRAD STUDENTS
Students attending a 4 year college/university, Jr. College or pursuing a degree online are eligible for a full or partial book stipend. Students enrolled for 12 or more credit hours, at the time their registration is submitted, are eligible to receive the full book stipend amount established. Students enrolled in at least 2 classes with less than 12 credit hours at the time their registration is submitted, are eligible for a book stipend equal to half of the established amount.
Book stipends are given to students up to five (5) years from their high school graduation date, June to June. (Ex. If you graduate from high school in 2009, you are eligible to receive all book stipends distributed up through June, 2014)
BOOK STIPENDS-GRADUATE STUDENTS
Graduate students up to age 30 are eligible for a full or partial book stipend. Students enrolled for 9 or more credit hours, at the time their registration is submitted, are eligible to receive the full book stipend amount established. Students enrolled in at least 2 classes with less than 9 credit hours at the time their registration is submitted, are eligible for a book stipend equal to half of the established amount.
COLLEGE HONOR ROLL
Undergraduate students attending a four (4) year college/university, Jr. College and students pursuing a degree online who maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher are eligible for this award, provided this is achieved within 5 years of their high school graduation date.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE AWARD
- If I receive the Academic Excellence Award and cannot start college immediately, do I forfeit the Award? The award will be held for you up to one (1) year following your high school graduation date, notify the Education Ministry if you are unable to start school immediately.
- Am I eligible for the Academic Excellence Award if I am planning to attend a Junior College? Yes, high school seniors meeting the criteria and planning to attend an accredited 4 year college/university, Jr. College or pursuing a degree on-line can apply for the Award.
- If I am the only graduating senior and meet the criteria in the application process, am I automatically awarded the Award? Meeting the criteria in the application process is necessary to have your application evaluated. The Education Ministry evaluates and awards points on the materials submitted and a minimum threshold must be met in order to receive the Award. The same scoring process and threshold is used to evaluate one applicant or several applicants.
- If I did not win the Academic Excellence Award, will I be notified? You will be notified by an Education Ministry Member if you applied but did not receive the Award and areas where points were deducted will be shared.
- Do I have to have a specific major to receive the award? Your major is not a consideration to apply for this award.
- Can I receive a book stipend if I attend a Junior College? Yes, you are eligible for a book stipend if you attend a Jr. College, a 4 year college/university, pursing a degree online or attending graduate school.
- Can I give my class registration to an Education Ministry Member? Education Ministry Members no longer accept registrations. Your information must be emailed to email@example.com by the deadline to be considered for a book stipend.
- How is the stipend amount determined? Stipend amounts are established by the Education Ministry; the amount received is dependent on your registration information. To receive the full stipend amount your registration must show 12 or more credit hours; if you have less than 12 credit hours and a minimum of 2 classes (part-time student), you will receive ½ of the full stipend amount.
- Q. If I cannot get my class registration in by the deadline, can I still receive a book stipend? If extenuating circumstances prevent you from getting your class registration in by the deadline, you must notify the Education Ministry in writing by the deadline to be considered for a book stipend. E-mail reason to firstname.lastname@example.org; information will be treated confidentially.
- What GPA do I need to receive a book stipend? Your GPA is not a consideration; book stipends are based on your enrollment status at the time information is submitted.
- How often are book stipends given? Funds permitting, book stipends are distributed twice during the academic school year (Fall and Winter/Spring).
- If I change my major to or from a business curriculum, what book stipend do I receive? If you are in or change to a business major you are eligible for a book stipend from the James Frederick, Jr. Legacy Fund; if you are in or change to a non-business major, you are eligible for a book stipend from the Rev. & Mrs. C. O. Stewart Education Ministry Fund.
- If I change my major, will my time to receive a book stipend be extended? Your book stipend eligibility is based on 5 years from your high school graduation date; if your schooling goes beyond the 5 year period, you are not eligible for a book stipend from either fund.
- Am I given special consideration to receive a book stipend if I am in a 5 year program? The five year time period from your high school graduation date was established to take into account students enrolled in a five year program; five years is the limit for all students to ensure funding for future students.
- What do I have to do to receive a monetary graduation gift? Submit your name, school name and any honors received (optional) by the deadline to email@example.com
COLLEGE HONOR ROLL AWARD
- How do I qualify for a College Honor Roll Award? Undergraduate students attending a 4 year college/university, Jr. College or pursuing a degree online who maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher are eligible to receive a monetary award at the end of each academic school year up to 5 years from their high school graduation date.
- If my GPA for the semester is above 3.0 can I receive the award? No, your cumulative GPA must be a 3.0 or higher to receive the award.
- How do I update information with the Education Ministry? E-mail information to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- How do I know the specific date information is due? Deadlines are listed under Important Dates
- How is the Rev. & Mrs. C. O. Stewart Education Ministry funded? Funding comes from sponsored events/activities, plaque purchases for the Memorial Board and donations from Church members and other supporters. 100% of all proceeds are used to provide financial support to students.
The James Frederick, Jr. Legacy Fund is supported through a Trust set up by Mrs. Joanne Frederick
The Mary Lou Parks Legacy Fund is supported by family and friend donations to the Fund.
- How can I support the Education Ministry? Support the Education Ministry by your attendance/participation and financial support at fund raising events/activities. You can also donate directly to the Education Ministry via the Church envelope. Contributions are tax deductible.
- Are there any qualifications required to become a member of the Education Ministry? Education Ministry members must actively participate in Education Ministry activities. Members are financially responsible for established goals on specified events. (Ex. Members must commit to sell or be financially responsible for established goals when ticketed events are sponsored).
ELIGIBILITY AT A GLANCE
|Honor Recognition||Book Stipends||Honor Roll Cumulative 3.0+ GPA||Graduating Seniors Gift|
|High School Seniors||x||x||x|
1st Sunday Book Stipends Distributed
1st Sunday Academic Excellence Essay Topic Published
Last Sunday High School & College Graduate Names Due
Academic Honors due for all students
2nd Sunday Essay & Academic Excellence Application Due
3rd Sunday Academic Excellence Winner Selected
4th Saturday Annual Scholarship Luncheon
Gifts and Awards Presented to Students
Last Sunday Class Registration for College Students Due
2nd Sunday Academic Excellence Award Distributed to Winner
Book Stipends Distributed
2nd Sunday Class Registration for College Students Due
Feel free to download the forms by clicking the link below!